Monday, March 28, 2011

Boxing Hares Collage

I finally finished another portrait for my book!

Harold and Harriet the Hares

close up of Harold

it's spring time!

Hmm, I was hoping that the challenge to do a fighting or hunting scene would force me to do something darker. Alas, I cannot stop making cute things! Oh, well, maybe next time...

lesson - as with painting, avoid the use of black (I like how the dark purple turned out this time.)
discovery - working from maquettes works just as well as working from a larger sculpture
challenge - make the atmosphere mysterious

(To view the study, sculpture, drawing, and vector graphic for this portrait, please view a previous post.)

I've been doing a lot of research lately on the classification of animals, as well as the evolution of animals, and I'm trying to figure out a way to incorporate those ideas into my book. It's fascinating stuff, and I'm discovering a lot of new animals. For example, did you know that there is a deer that has fangs?!

musk deer

No comments:

Post a Comment