Friday, July 2, 2010

F is for Fox

For the past two weeks I've been creating "Fae the Fox." (By the way, I have also decided to name the quail Quinn.) Here are the steps I took to develop a pattern for the collage.

the study

the sculpture

the drawing

the vector graphic

It's kind of funny — I think the sculpture turned out looking a little bit like our cat, Me'shell. I'm so familiar with my little companions, especially now that I spend most of my time with them. I must have subconsciously applied some of her characteristics to the sculpture, like the delicate ears and furry collar.


I'm happy that this happened, because I like the idea of combining characteristics of different animals. After visiting The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago last summer I've been intrigued by Mesopotamian art. One interesting figure is the Dragon of Marduk, with a scaly body, serpent's head, viper's horns, front feet of a feline, hind feet of a bird, and a scorpion's tail. Now that's pretty bad ass.


I just finished the fabric collage of Fae yesterday, and will show the pictures for that in the next post.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for including the photo of Me'sh. I can really see her reflected in Fae.

    ReplyDelete