Monday, May 16, 2011

gifts for nick and sam


Birds over Torrance
shadow box, vellum paper, wire, and map / 5.5" x 5.5"


I made this diorama for my nephew, Nicholas, who just turned 5! It includes a map of his neighborhood from a 1991 Thomas Guide. I marked his house, attached a few birds with some wire, and framed it in a shadow box. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and will definitely be buying more of these frames from IKEA.


Giraffe
paper and fabric / 5"x7"

I made this fabric collage for my niece, Samatha, who also just had a birthday and turned 3. Upon unwrapping it, I think she was a little disappointed that it wasn't Hello Kitty related. =P But, later she did say "I like giraffes," so that was encouraging!

2 comments:

  1. I love the shadow box a lot - and the giraffe. You did it again, Monica!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shadow box. I used to look at street maps and wander through them in my head, going to places that I had never been, imagining what would be at every corner and turn.

    ReplyDelete