Wednesday, May 18, 2011

a few sculptures

Today was the last day of my ceramics class, and here are some fruits of my labor!


I made a bunch of these little heads to try different glazes.



each face is slightly different,
so they kinda remind me of the Chinese Terracotta Army


One of our assignments was to create a personal trophy, so I made this animal tree. I've been doing some research on the evolution of animals, and I chose four animals to represent a few ideas I've been learning.


Tree of Animals
clay and glaze / 8" x 8" x 6"


the rhino beetle represents insects,
which were some of the first animals on earth



the salamander represents the idea of
a fish developing into a land animal



the loris represents primates,
the animal group to which we humans belong


the bat is a mammal that can fly,
which represents convergent evolution


Here are a couple more animals that I made this semester as well. I particularly like how the glazes turned out on these.



I learned so much this year in my sculpture and ceramics classes! I'm a little sad that there's no summer school, but I'll be keeping busy nonetheless. The sculpting must go on! =)

1 comment:

  1. I love the tree of animals--very thoughtfully done. and the snake is one of my favorites, both form and color.

    ReplyDelete