Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Leewana the Lizard

Frill-necked lizards live in northern Australia and New Guinea, so I gave my character an Aboriginal name (meaning "the wind.")

Meet Leewana!




This portrait shows Leewana flaring her frill. (She's frightened by the sight of you!) And, the sillouettes depict her running away to the safety of a tree.

I sort of disregarded the the last challenge, which was to make the background mysterious by veiling some of it. I just got so caught up in the curious behavior of the frilled lizard, and I wanted to portray that first and foremost.

lesson - sometimes you just gotta go with what grabs you
discovery - I like the combination of the close-up portrait with the "animation" of movement
challange - illustrate the life cycle of an animal

(To view the study, sculpture, drawing, and vector graphic for this portrait, please view a previous post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment